Recently I flew up to the Silicon Valley area for an interview at a major internet company. LAX’s computer broke down that afternoon so I had no choice but to entertain myself in San Jose airport for 4 hours. Naturally, my first intention was to head to the bar. I learned:
- I need a portable iPhone charging device. For the woman on the go like I am.
- Your family wants to hear more often from you than the infrequent times you are delayed in an airport in California (which btw, I have forgotten in my spoiled SoCal life: airport delays are quite frequent in climates that aren’t constantly sunny & 78 degrees).
- Fun fact: free wifi in the SJC airport! For Tindering engineers and such!
- There are no cute young men business travelers in San Jose.
- However, there are an abundant amount of businessmen from your dad’s generation who will have a beer with you and tell you that your generation is screwed in this economy. To which I gamely replied, “I’m aware, unemployed, have a 401k, and am up here for an interview subsequently. And, yes, I have zero hope for my generation. But I don’t think that’s Obama’s fault.” (Cue the crickets; we were near Palo Alto after all.)